Sunday, May 23, 2021

Gardening Gods

I rarely feel the need to shoot anything. It's just not my jam. But there is nothing to put me in a murderous rage quite like squirrels digging in my flower pots. I have waited eight months for some greenery to reappear in this garbage climate, and those little a-holes killing my precious flower babies to bury their stupid peanuts - why, it's enough to make me fantasize about cutting a hole in my kitchen window screen and spending my days obsessively shooting them with a BB gun, just like my Dad used to do* with the magpies that ate the cat food** at the farm***.  

* After the divorce. (Or possibly contributing to it? Timeline unclear.)

** Barn cats. Also raccoons.

*** I've come a long way, baby.

In my imaginings I then roast the squirrels over a bonfire and gnaw their stupid peanut-digging bones while making prolonged crazy person eye contact with my stupid peanut-feeding neighbours. Broad daylight. Gunfight slide whistle sounds float on the breeze. Squirrel grease (?) drips down my chin and I don't even wipe it away.

In my mind's eye, it is beautiful, although my mind's eye does occasionally move on to wondering what my life will be like once dementia begins to strip away the civilised veneer I've so carefully crafted in the years since I last shot a magpie through a kitchen window.

Anyway, instead of all that, what I actually do is this: Head to the "global" aisle of the grocery store (or whatever questionable term they've decided to roll with at your local store) and buy the biggest, reddest, hottest-looking sack of ground chilies I can find, which I sprinkle liberally over the soil in my planters. And then I pray to the gods of angiosperms and vengeance that the squirrels be plagued by the spicy shits of a thousand burritos if they ever dare to enter my flower pots again. 

Reapply after heavy rains, and feel free to alter your prayer to suit whichever gods you prefer for these sorts of applications. Works real good, at least as far as the squirrel problem goes. I'll let you know when I figure out how to get the peanut-feeding neighbours to lay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment